About the Teacher/Welcome Msg
I received my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education from Blue Mountain College in May 2010. I am certified to teach all subjects Kindergarten through 6th grade, and English & Social Studies for grades 7 through 12. I was a Paraprofessional for 7 years previous to earning my bachelors degree. I also hold an Associates Degree in Management Information Systems & have certification for Medical & Dental Administration.
This is my 6th year teaching second grade at Desoto Central Primary School.Prior to that, I taught all 1200 3rd, 4th & 5th graders in the Science Lab at Horn Lake Intermediate School. Prior to earning my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education from Blue Mountain College, I was a Paraprofessional at Pleasant Hill Elementary School for 7 years. I also taught 3's & 4's classes and Pre-K classes at Bradley United Methodist Church for 4 years in Indiana.
My name is Tina Tompkins and I have been happily married to my best friend for 30 years now. My husband, Jay & I were high school sweethearts. We dated for 8 1/2 years before tying the knot! We have two beautiful children. My daughter, Micaela just graduated from Mississippi State with a BS in Biological Sciences. She is taking a year off before she will apply to the College of Veterinary Medicine. My son, Zachary, is a Junior at Mississippi State and is studying Mechanical Engineering. I also have a very spoiled cocker-spaniel named Scooter. My family and I moved here from Greenfield, Indiana about 12 years ago. We have made Mississippi our home!
Monday - Library
Tuesday - Art
Wednesday - P.E.
Thursday - Music
Friday - Computer
Things we could use in our classroom:
- printer ink: EPSON ET-4750 (these will be actual bottles of ink)
- Black, Magenta, Yellow & Cyan
- White Cardstock
- White Printer Paper
- Best Buy or Office Depot Gift Card (ink/paper)
Thank you so much! I could not make it through the school year without generous parents and grandparents like you! :) Mrs. T
- IXL Please check your child's binder for their personal login information.
- Reflex Math
- Ten Marks This is a great website that you can use for math skill building. Your child's password is in his/her binder.
- Sum Dog This is a FANTASTIC math website where the kids can compete with other kids locally & nationally every week just by completing math problems. Each student has their own unique login id & password that is inside their binder so they can play at home! Login today & have some fun! :)
- H.I.P. History in My Pocket This is great site for my students to learn about the history of coins. They can play several different games & complete fun activities on this cool website!
- Number Bonds
- Speed Grid Challenge
- Addition Games
- Sum Sense Addition
- Funky Mummy Addition
- Subtraction Games
- Place Value: "Dog Bone" Play a game working with 100's chart!
- Graphing: "Let's Graph"
- Graphing: "Olivia Octagon"
- Graphing: "Counting Objects"
- Pattern: "Bead Patterns"
- Add & sub: "Flower Power"
- Add & Sub: "Seashell Search" Adding for a surprise!
- Patterns: "Great Day for Number Lines" Practice adding using a number line!
- Patterns: "Paul Pattern"
- Add & Sub: "Fireflies"
- Add & sub: "Adding Bricks"
I have set up a new Kid Blog for our class to use. This is a fun tool for the students to blog each other. They can blog about a book they are reading, a math strategy they use or don't understand. They can blog about anything they like. I have told them to be certain to not say anything that is mean or might hurt anyone's feelings. I will be monitoring all blogs. I hope they use this great tool! :)
- Spelling City Practice spelling words on the website.
- PBS Kids This is a wonderful website where the kids can play games, watch videos & have fun while learning!
- The Ed Files
- Easy CBM - Reading & Math Help
There have been many requests for additional Cold Read practice sheets. I am very limited on the number of copies we are allowed each week, so I believe that this link is the best alternative. I am certain it will help. I used it last year for remediation.
Listed below is a link for the students to go to each week to practice taking Cold Read Tests. I have also included some Math practice.
The students will have until Friday to complete these & I will count it as part of their homework each week.
The students should click on the Student button. :) Then they will be asked to type in teacher name. Type: ttompkins
They will be asked to choose their group - there is only one. Click drop down box: 2nd Grade Super Stars!
Then they click on the drop down box & choose their own name. Each student has the same assignments right now. One Cold Read & One Math practice sheet. They should complete these by Friday each week.http://www.easycbm.com
Here is another Great Reading website that the student's should use for reading comprehension practice! Their Login ID & password is on an index card inside their binder's zippered pouch.
Enjoy! :) http://www.raz-kids.com
This website will help you with reading & comprehension.http://www.starfall.com
This is a great website! The kids can watch videos, play games, learn fascinating information about animals & places around the globe!http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/