Welcome! My name is Rachel Burns, and I have been serving as Desoto Central Primary School's speech-language pathologist since January 2020. I received my bachelor's degree in Educational Psychology from Mississippi State University in 2013, and my master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology from the University of Memphis in 2015. I hold my Certification of Clinical Competence (CCC's) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), and have been working in the school setting with students aged 3-21 for five years.
Thank you in advance for the support you provide to your child and us, their support team at school. Your role as a parent in this process is vital, as you can provide reinforcement of communication skills and encouragement when progress is made. I am looking forward to working together with you to see your child grow!
If you have any questions about your child's particular needs, please feel free to reach out to me with the Contact form here.
UPDATE: COVID-19 School Closure
Below under the "Documents" and "Links" tab I have included resources for practice of speech and language skills at home. Please contact me if you have specific questions about your child's communication needs. Thanks for your support!
To the Students of DCPS :)
- (K-3) BrainPop Jr.
- How to Read Aloud to Your Child (Youtube)
- (Preschool) Toy Talk Blog
- (AAC) AAC in the Classroom (Youtube)
- (AAC) PrAACtical Resources
- (AAC) Daily Core Vocabulary Lessons
- (AAC) AAC Language Lab- 2 months free
- (K-3) The Speech Express (videos for speech-language practice)
- (K-3) QUIA (Speech activities)
- (Fluency) FRIENDS for Parents (stuttering resources)
- (Fluency) Stuttering Foundation
- Epic! (free online books)
- Storyline Online
- Vocabulary Practice
- Mommy Speech Therapy
- Scholastic Magazine Online
- Home Speech Home
- Tarheel Reader (online books with simple language)